We arrived at 7:45 (and hour and 15 minutes early) armed with a stroller, chair, a dozen books, loads of snacks, a ball and other toys and ipod and staked out our spots in line within view of the playground. We lucked out and arrived at the same time as Johnathan's best friend. It reminded me of waiting in line in college for REM tickets for Ben's birthday.
Only at the end of this line, rather than an awesome concert - we (Johnathan and I) got H1N1 shots. The kid did great. He thought it was one long 3-hour playdate that ended with a sticker and french fries (cause he was brave and by then we were starving).
I on the other hand felt guilty. It had been a long week debating the shot - not if we should get it but HOW we should get it.
At first, it was reported that the clinic I went to was only giving out shots to the uninsured. So our doctor, told us to lie. It was that important and they didn't foresee getting the vaccine any time soon. But after I called the Health Department and actually spoke to a live person, they said that the insured could get it. Either a lot of people called the Health Department or a lot of people were planing to lie. That was not a line filled with Fremont's uninsured.
We were also told that only children under 4 were eligible and pregnant women. But once we got in there I had 4 Health department workers including the nurse actually giving out the shot, suggest that I get it too and no I didn't need to go back in line - just fill out this paperwork, lean your head back and sniff it up. I decided by the 4th person, not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
The best part about all this....we get to do it all over again on December 5th because Johnathan needs 2 shots. We again will be arriving with friends - that was a lifesaver.
No comments:
Post a Comment