My dad said it best last week, "There's nothing like a baby to turn a room of adults into bumbling idiots."
I'm doing the stay at home mom thing and I'm enjoying it and the playgroups and all that comes with it but I never thought I'd be one to prance around with a scarf and use my hands to sing songs - in front of complete strangers. Yes, me a bumbling idiot.
That was until my husband left me.
Today is officially my first day alone and I only have 4 more to go as he gallivants (works) around Europe. He left on Monday and my mom left before dawn today. I needed something to do with the kiddo.
The library offers a free baby music class the first Saturday of the month and the kiddo and I went. We started out in a circle banging on a drum. I thought the kid was going to take his first steps and follow that woman with the drum when she tried to take it away. He loved it. The scarfs were nice but nothing got him going like that drum.
But what got me...was the counting song. We counted to five in English. Then we went around the room and counted in each person's native language - all while singing with our hands. Spanish. French. Hindi. Chinese. Then they got to me.
The leader asked me "Do you speak any other languages?" Ummm...3 semesters of college German and I couldn't remember anything past the number 1 to even fake it. I was the only single-language speaking person there.
Oh well..the kiddo didn't notice. He just kept eying the drum in the corner.
No comments:
Post a Comment