Though he's a great kid and usually a good sleeper, Johnathan had acquired some bad habits. He would wake up in the middle of the night and we would rush to him to find his paci. We swaddled him for all of his naps and to go to sleep. And if he refused his last nap of the day, I was a sucker to sit and rock him. All innocent enough by themselves and in moderation.
But then he decided for a couple of nights that he needed his paci every hour between 1 and 6 am.
So, after a few sleepless nights we ripped off his band aid of bad habits and also stopped the nursing to sleep as well. Our thinking was, if we're going to do this cry it out thing, lets only do this once.
Unfortunately, this all happened on a very bad week. Ben was getting over his cold and jetlag, I was getting his cold and now I've sliced my finger so badly it had to be glued back together (very cool stuff I might add).
The first night was hell.
I'm not used to a crying kid. He cried every hour on the hour and I heard each whimper even without the baby monitor. Ben slept right through it - jet lag had caught up with him.
The next night he cried for 5 min, woke up twice to feed and once or twice more (but got himself back down).
Tonight, he cried for 6 min and we'll see about the rest. Though I did get all 3 naps in the crib.
So happy 5 months kiddo. We hope we've given you the gift of good sleep for the rest of your life. Either that or I've just caused you severe emotional trauma that will take years of therapy to get over.
No comments:
Post a Comment