Thursday, September 18, 2008

How Things Have Changed: Flight Preparations

One year and two months ago, Ben and I set out with Johnathan for his first cross-country flight. I was freaked out about it before he was even born. I spent days looking at Target, Walmart and Babies R Us for that perfect toy. Yep - 1 toy. It was a little red crab. He could have cared less. All 10 pounds of him sat quietly in our laps either napping or eating. Ah....the memories.

Fast forward to 1 week from now....my 24 lb wiggle worm will be sharing a seat with just me as he and I attempt to make our way back home. I've been picking up toys (all under about $2) and crap for him since before I knew I had this trip to make. This doesn't even include the food I'll be bringing...

So from that one crab we've now graduated to:
A coloring book and crayons
4 books
A bag of mega blocks from his massive collection
Pipe cleaners
2 dog collars (he's obsessed with buckles and they were in the $1 bin at target)
A flashlight
A slinky
3 matchbox cars
An episode of Thomas the Train for my ipod and Caliou
4 Pop beads
A bead maze
A scarf (to play peek-a-boo)
A musical Hallmark card (for the layover)
A deflated mini-beach ball (in the event that we get stuck somewhere)
Train stickers and a roll of tape

He may play with all of it, he may touch none of it but once you factor in getting to the airport, the waiting, the flights, the layover and the 2 hour drive from Raleigh, it turns out to be a really long day.

No comments: