Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Best Laid Plans...Easter Gone Awry


This was the plan:
Easter basket in the morning, the giving of the bike after mommy's dentist appointment, daddy and kiddo spend all day riding bikes outside, mommy de-germs house, egg hunt at the end of the day. Yeah Right...

The Easter bunny did well. He brought art supplies and just like Christmas, as soon as he sees it, he must play with it. So at 6:50 am we were painting.

The Easter bunny also brought a little candy - peeps to be exact and some fruit gels. Johnathan's doesn't eat much sugar and after 1 peep and one packet of fruit gels he was literally running around the house. It looked like a teenager who had just taken his first sip of beer.

He apparently crashed from the sugar high at some point while I was at the dentist. Seeing his beloved stuffed monkey hanging by his neck in the garage (drying from his trip in the laundry) probably didn't help matters.

Attempting to make it all better, we bring out the BIKE. Yes after much desire and many weeks of stalking other kids on bikes, we give him the bike that HE had picked out.

He gets on. He rides. He goes down the teeny tiny incline in the backyard. He looses control but stays on. He's freaked out. He's done.

Now I need to spend lots of time with Clorox to kill the norovirus that has invaded the house so I send Ben and the kiddo to the Children's Museum (where I'm sure he got infected with some other random germ that will cost me $100 in urgent care fees and another $100 to replace all the rugs and other assorted items that just couldn't be cleaned).

They come home, we try the bike again. He falls. He's so done with the bike.

Now its time to hunt eggs. "Johnathan," I say, "The Easter Bunny has hidden eggs outside for you to find."

"No Mimi". "Bunny comes when I sleep." Apparently he actually had been listening to me when I told him last night a bunny was going to bring him a basket while he slept. We finally got him to hunt eggs.

Unfortunately, it didn't get better...because there is no way to clean his beloved bathtime ducks, they had to fly south to the great garbage can. Daddy was sent out to get more ducks this afternoon but couldn't find them. Floating Elmo's didn't do it. Now I have to find about a dozen ducks before tomorrow night.

No comments: