We decided that it was time to start camping with the kid. And after thoroughly researching the subject of how things are GREATLY different when camping with kids, arming ourselves with a massive tent and a kiddie sleeping bag so warm he could sleep outdoors in Alaska, we were ready - for the backyard.
And in the first hour of backyard camping I learned one big lesson - I was unprepared. Our goal was to leave the house and not come back - ha!
I learned I need a really good diversion when setting up the tent. Tents on the ground and all those poles are just too tempting along with all the other gadgets that are laid out. It only took about 60 seconds for the flashlight to land on the concrete and break apart sending batteries flying.
I learned smores should not be made with chocolate that melts unless you have an extra set of clothes with you and a whole stack of baby wipes.
I learned he needs a little pair of kiddie crocs that he can put on himself for all the going in and out of the tent. Otherwise - I will spend my entire trip putting on shoes.
I learned that he doesn't have to have his doggie to sleep but no one is sleeping unless you have the hard copy of Goodnight Moon (the 4 other books we had weren't sufficient).
Johnathan had a blast and had no problem sleeping in the tent despite initial conversations about potential monsters. He stayed up late and got up early (about the time the sun came up), entertained by flashlights and a free foam airplane that was built inside the tent. And he told me this morning he slept "all warm" last night.
Ok, so full disclosure....I didn't camp with them, I left after smores. The larger family size air mattress wasn't supposed to be here until today so I had decided this would be a great father/son outing. And then when it did arrive, the lure of having the house all to myself for a night was just too great. But I did keep the window open so I could hear the excitement and just smiled and rolled over when I heard a "daddy - potty" at 1:30 am.
No comments:
Post a Comment