Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Johnathan on Tour - A Preschool Tour

Nine months ago, Johnathan was sleeping in a crib and wearing diapers and couldn't peddle his tricycle. Nine months is a long time in a 2 year old's life and a lot changes. Yet, despite this, I somehow in the next two weeks have to decide where he will go to school in 9 months. Yes, preschool applications are due in February!

And while I'd love to say, "Its just preschool". Its more than that. We are not fond of our school district so while I'm looking at preschool, I'm also checking out schools that go all the way up. No pressure.

We've toured 2 schools so far and I have appointments at 2 more. I didn't love the first two. I'm sure he would be happy at either one (he just really wants to go to any school) - but I'm not sure I would be happy with them.

I'm asking a lot of questions of course but I find myself asking lots of questions that I never thought I'd have to ask. Like - how many students speak English fluently? Is English their primary or secondary language? Do your teachers communicate solely in English? What percentage of your students are Caucasian?

All I'm asking for is an ethnically diverse, half-day preschool, two or three days a week, that will challenge and teach him new things and that doesn't cost so much that I feel like I'm paying for college.

Here's hoping for our next tour...

No comments: