Though preschool is a chance for Johnathan to learn and grow, these past two weeks on the preschool tour circuit have really made me learn a thing or two about myself and what kind of parent I am.
I learned I'm creative. I really don't like it when all the penguin artwork on the wall looks the exact same or when the teacher is physically guiding the art lesson (ie: place this hand here and here).
I realize that even though I've given up a few years of my career to stay at home, its time for someone else to teach my kid so no, I don't think there should be 3-4 parents in every classroom every day helping out.
I realized I'm still a pretty good reporter at heart as I walked the preschool tradeshow floor and made all those who described their school as "learning through play" tell me exactly what that means to them. No two answers were the same.
I reinforced that I am a goal oriented person. I needed to know what you planned to teach my child this year. There were a lot of people who just said they would make him kindergarten ready by the end of next year. But no one could define Kindergarten ready.
We've made our decision. He's going to a private preschool that feeds into a private kindergarten and elementary school. He will be a minority and if he picks up a little mandarin or Hindi so be it. But it was the only place that when I walked in, I felt was the right place for my kid. Call it mother's intuition.
But after all this mother's intuition, I needed to de-stress....so Saturday afternoon, we grabbed some goldfish and raisens and threw our coats in the car and managed to come across a 60-degree, blue-sky, no wind afternoon in Half Moon Bay. We played in the sand and then watched the sun set over the ocean while eating dinner and listening to live music. And on the way back watched the most beautiful moonrise. All while most of you, where shoveling snow.
No comments:
Post a Comment