As excited as Johnathan was about learning to swim, I was pretty sure it was all over with about 2 minutes after he got in the pool. The first thing they did was dunk the kids underwater. And for a kid who can't stand to even have his hair washed because he will get water in his eyes AND his hair will get wet, dunking was almost a deal-breaker. There were lots of tears. But he never got out of the pool.
And then one of his instructors came over. Said some kind of magic words and he was happily swimming again. Wish I knew what those magic words were.
They swam up and down the pool with a little block of Styrofoam on his back. He jumped (after 3 tries) off the edge. He blew bubbles and this was all on day 1. We've got 9 more to go.
I was concerned he'd be behind where the other kids were since its a beach town and these kids are practically born in the water, but he slid right in.
No comments:
Post a Comment