Sunday, July 04, 2010

Happy 4th!









Years ago, before Johnathan, Ben and I spent the fourth of July in Boston fighting the crowds, the traffic in order to see some great fireworks over the river. Last night, we walked 1 block to the beach, set up a picnic and saw some great fireworks over the ocean and were home 5 minutes after they ended. I prefer our current set up.

I'm glad it was only a 1 block walk. Johnathan didn't find them as fascinating as we expected. In fact, he had more fun with the flashlight we brought him. He wasn't scared, he just didn't oooohhh and aahhhh and they actually do a great display here (better than the ones I saw in SF).

But this weekend hasn't been without traffic. We are prisoners in our own home. I went into town yesterday morning and wasn't sure I'd make it back. It took about 35 minutes to drive 7 miles. It was at that point, we scrapped the idea for a fried chicken picnic and opted for PB&J.

After that experience, and the fact that it took Ben more than 20 minutes to come back with a paper this morning from the gas station about 10 blocks away at 8 am, we've decided we aren't going out again. I think we've decided next year we're going to invite friends or family in for the weekend - they will be more than welcome to stay but if anything needs purchasing from the store - I'll pay but they have to make the drive! :-)

It's also been a good birthday weekend. We've made excellent use out of the beach cart that I got for my birthday though I secretly suspect it was more for Ben than for me. Since I've entered the waddling stage of pregnancy, I'm not much use for carrying much. But Johnathan has given me the best gift of all - playing by himself in his room for stretches of time - and not just while I'm actively occupied. He loves to play cars on his bed. I really hope this continues.

No comments: