Sunday, January 20, 2008

So Very Grateful...

I had 4.5 whole hours to myself in my very own house yesterday and an adult dinner and after dinner drinks. Yes, alone. Without a child or husband. How did I manage this feat?

Someone very smart has created a group for dads that meets once a month for a hike with their kids. And someone smarter put it in the calendar section of a local mom's magazine. So apparently, about a dozen moms found the posting and sent their husbands and children off with well-packed diaper bags in 38 degree weather to go hiking on Saturday morning. (Apparently no dad there actually saw the posting themselves.)

They talked about museums, NPR and whatnot and I cranked the stereo as loud as I could and got a few things done around the house that I was desperate to do. And I didn't have to worry that if I left the Clorox bottle in the middle of the floor for 5 minutes I would be committing child abuse.

I've already got next month's hike on the calendar.

As an added bonus, last night was the first night we left Johnathan with a babysitter that wasn't family. We're trading one night a month with another couple. He did really well, and accepted (after a confused moment of 'who are you') another mommy to rock him to sleep when he woke up in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately by 10 pm, we could hardly hold our eyes open.

No comments: