Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"That Mommy"

I swore before I had kids that I would never be "that mommy". You know, the one in the grocery store who plucks something off the shelf and just hands it to her kid to play with and chew on while they finish up their errands. I became her yesterday.

Our grocery store trip started out with the following comment in the produce aisle:

"Aw, what a cute, smiling baby...and so happy and good."

This was the lady who jinxed me.


Then around the baby food aisle:
"Look at that baby chewing on his box of oatmeal, he must be hungry".

No, for your information, I couldn't get him to stop chewing on the grocery cart despite the toys I tried to hand him. So I made a decision that a box sitting on a shelf was cleaner than the handle and the cart that many snotty nosed kids had sneezed, coughed, touched and lord knows what else on. I did at least give him his own oatmeal in the event any got in him.

And finally, when we made it to the checkout:
"Wow, what a face...so serious".

Yeah, that means he's about to blow his top and now he has nothing to play with because I had to pay for the oatmeal, so stop yapping and finish the transaction so I can run out of here. That's what I wanted to say but I just smiled and started bagging myself.

I shall not judge another mommy again.


No comments: