Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Beginning of Potty Training



Those folks in the 1960s and 70s were really on to something - hardwood floors and plastic on the furniture. I wish we could go back to that time......

So after months of using the potty as a delay tactic to naps or when he wanted to prove he was a big kid in front of others, I declared today DD Day - Done with Diaper Day! They are gone. Replaced with underwear that was way too difficult to procure (3 different packages of size 2T underwear have a 10 lb weight range for their start size. Since we're still a bean pole I bought all three and figure we'll grow into them at some point).

And while I despise the commercialization of what seems like every single thing that comes near my child, I have found that marketing works and my child was much more interested in underwear when I started calling it his "Elmo pants" rather than "underwear" and naming off all the characters on the Cars Pull Up relaxed him enough to poop in the potty before his nap.

He's nearly learned his ABCs because he loves to sing it and Happy Birthday VERY LOUDLY while waiting for nature to take its course.

We've had some successes. We've had some accidents and in the process made a huge pile of laundry for me tonight. It's the hardest and most exhausting thing I think I've done. Whereas we used to be able to each have our play alone time each day, I'm constantly watching for the first sign of dribble.

But we managed to have fun - a lot of fun in the tile kitchen. We made cookies from scratch. Painted with new paintbrushes and played outside a LOT.

Tonight when he went to sleep, I told him I was proud of him and he told me he would potty more tomorrow. I hope so.

No comments: