Dear Johnathan,
One day, many years from now, after you have married a lovely girl that I approve of and have decided to have a child, I promise to come and spend the week with my grandchild so that you and your lovely bride can leave the country and fly 10 hours to a remote island where there is little contact with the outside world to recover from the first two years of said child's life and sleep for 12-15 hours a day.
(disclaimer: this offer only good for one well-behaved child)
This is what your grandparents did for me and I will do for you.
Actually, I'm not even sure you knew I was gone. We told you "Mimi was going on vacation". You accepted that and never looked back and never got upset. But why would you? You got new toys, the complete and total attention of two grandparents who apparently played with you all day for 13 days. A few trips to McDonalds, lots of trips to the park and walks around the block, lots of messy art projects and I'm pretty sure they sneaked in a few bowls of ice cream. I'm glad you had fun. I did. Your grandparents said they did but I bet now they are sleeping (12-15 hours a day, to recover).
And I will, as they did to you, teach your child lots of fun phrases like "no problem" and "oh boy". Ben and I can't say thank you enough.
Note: Birthday party and trip posts are coming soon. We're still recovering from the jet lag.
No comments:
Post a Comment