Thursday, August 09, 2007

A Great Kid, A Great Dad and a so-so Mom

I decided this was the week. With the finality of deciding to be a stay at home mom setting in, it was time to make friends. I was going to join the local mom's group for their weekly walk around the lake. I felt like it was the first day at a new school.

What I learned is I have a great kid (albeit one who can fart as loud as a grown man - more on that later).
What time does your kid go to bed? 7 pm.
Do you have to hold him while you eat? Um no, he plays in his bouncer.
How long has he been sleeping in his crib? Er, since the day we brought him home.
And my favorite, "How do you take him to the grocery store". Huh? In his carrier.

There were some rather wide eyes at my answers to these questions as they believed that no, it must be too good to be true.

Then there was the "dad" discussion. Many, "my husband works 10 hour days and sort of plays with the baby."

I wasn't going to say anything but I was asked directly...yes, my husband does the bath and takes over at night when he gets home, including the bath and bedtime routine.

To this, I got jealous stares.

But then the real test...the mom test. I innocently assumed this was just a walk around a lake, so as an afterthought I threw my essentials baby bag in the stroller.

We stopped at the end to play on the blankets with our toys, books, snacks...um, what blanket?

Then Johnathan started farting, loud enough to draw laughter from the other moms. But I know that farting always ends with a big, juicy diaper full. And it did.

I had a diaper, 2 wipes and a small baby blanket to change him on. That was the entirety of my baby bag. (I was only anticipating a 1 hour walk!!!)

So I may have had the best kid, best husband but I didn't appear to be the best mom :-)

We still had fun. We'll go back. But with the larger diaper bag.

(However, I've probably jinxed myself.)

Editor's Note: The Editorial Staff in conjunction with the Kiddo agree that Mom is the greatest of the bunch.

No comments: