Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hello Mr. Popsicle!

I'm fairly certain that when Ben and I call our parents and tell the tales of how our little darling won't eat but about 15 foods other than fruit and no form of protein that doesn't come in stick or nugget form, they silently snicker, smile and realize that their wish that one day "I hope you have a kid that won't eat a thing" has come true.

Until this week....with the arrival of the green Popsicle.

We started with a bang a few weeks ago. Eat a bite of your pizza and we'll take you out for ice cream. And with eyes shut, nose wrinkled, he managed to swallow one bite. Yes, pizza - pepperoni pizza.

Then spaghetti - only we dropped our reward down to a choice of a cookie or a Popsicle. He requested a green Popsicle and when the only choice was orange, red or purple - spaghetti didn't go down.

Grocery day - I bought a whole rainbow of small Popsicles that didn't take 30 minutes to eat. Because apparently when a Popsicle has been hard won, he savors every bite. Dinner was inching up to an hour ordeal.

This week - pork roast, bacon and egg sandwich and an actual chicken leg have all earned him a green popsicle. And gone are the one tiny bites. We're up to about 1/4 of a serving - which I'm fine with. Somehow it also helps if Ben yanks it away and steals a bite - that infuriates Johnathan so much that he will then yank it back and start eating. Or we take turns eating Johnathan's serving.

Whatever - we're making progress. Maybe vegetables by Christmas?

1 comment:

Nathalee said...

Came across this today and thought you might find it helpful!

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-mini-pops-094530